Friday, October 9, 2009

Time Flies....

I know, I'm bad...I see that when things are going along smoothly I go quiet. So, I'm thankful things are going smoothly! So far I've had 27 of my 33 radiation treatments which makes me more than 2/3 of the way through. My skin doesn't like it at all, I've got burn marks on my collar bone and the rest of the area is turning sunburned, but that doesn't surprise me with my fair skin. I do put aloe on it a few times a day, along with the prescription cream the doctor is having me use, so I know I'll get this part of my treatment behind me too! I am so looking forward to being done, done, done. At least the side effects of chemo are behind me (except for my chemo nails), and I'm even starting to get some hair. Big surprise, it's a lot of white and gray with a little dark stuff, but that's what some good hair color will be for in the future. We'll see...right now I'm going without the bandanas and scarves and that in and of itself is very liberating. Hopefully my hair growth will multiply exponentially soon so I'll have some wavy locks to brush...I'm just thankful it's coming back in! I actually think my eyelashes are starting to grow back too, thank goodness! I've done a good job giving myself some eyebrows with my eyebrow pencil, but eyelashes are hard to fill in! It's all good though, seriously. Except for being a bit worn out from the radiation, I can't complain at all.

Dave and I were able to go to Knoxville a few weeks ago to see his parents and 2 of his 3 sisters, Barbara and Diane. It was such a nice weekend (minus the rain) because we were celebrating Dave's birthday which was Sept. 24th and his dad's 80th birthday which was Sept. 30th. Birthdays definitely are worth celebrating, even though we are all getting older, but after dealing with cancer, you just appreciate them more. We had a wonderful time with Dave's family and it was a great break from our routine here, we're thankful to have been able to make the trip.

Dave and I are celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary tomorrow (10/10). This year I'm making sure we go out on a real date and enjoy each other's company. Last year he was in the hospital receiving chemo, so, I think we need to celebrate extra this year. We've been through so much and I know it's brought us closer, made us stronger. I'm so thankful that Dave is doing o.k. and that my treatment is almost over also, we have a lot to celebrate. I'm not sure where we're going yet, but I know we'll have a good time wherever we end up going.
Well, I think I'm going to say that this is all for now. I'm hoping that we can put a picture up here of my hair that's growing back...it's pretty exciting to have some hair back on my head! I'll keep updating those shots to show the progress of my new hair...part of getting my old life back!

2 comments:

Kathy Sharp said...

I think your plan to go on a date for your anniversary is excellent. Maybe you could post a special photo, too, so you can look back on your anniversaries together, and your FB and blog followers can enjoy from afar! ;-)

Penny B. said...

You are almost at the end - I agree that birthdays and anniversaries are all the more important now. Jay and I are celebrating 23 yeasr TODAY! My hair came back all white but a littel curlier - I sarted coloring even when I was wearingmy wig so that teh parts that ere starting o show woudl have color!