Sunday, February 28, 2010

Made it through the first year...

Yes, I guess you could say that February will always be a month of anniversaries for me. Not only is it my birthday month, but it was on February 23rd, 2009 when the surgeon came in to tell me that my needle biopsy result showed cancer. It's that moment in your life, that everything changes. I must say that all in all, I am doing just great. This past year is one I would like to forget, but at the same time, I have grown in ways that make me who I am today and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

This past Friday (Feb. 26th) I had my mammogram. I'd like to say that the whole process was uneventful, but, it wasn't. The technician actually brought me back for 3 additional times to get "some better pictures" and just to be sure. UGHHH!!! And this time, she was focusing on my "other" breast (left side) because there is some "asymmetrical tissue" they want to monitor. Actually, when I was first diagnosed last year, the radiologist spent quite a bit of time doing an ultrasound on both breasts and she was pretty concerned about both sides. I guess when the lump in my right breast was found to be cancerous, they just didn't pay as much attention to the left side. Well, they made up for it last Friday. My poor chest wall hurt on Saturday from being pulled, mashed, pressed and tugged every which way. They also did an ultrasound on my left side...and after all was done, they told me that they'd see me in 6 months and they'll do a mammogram on both sides then. This is good news, but at the same time, I cannot begin to tell you how mentally drained I was afterwards. I guess a lot of women go through similar situations, and even though I am so grateful that nothing was really found, the psychological ramifications was totally draining. Once you've been through surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, you feel like "I'm all done with this, let's get on with life"...well, Dave summed it up best...Cautious optimism...it really does sum up how a cancer patient (Survivor) should approach future scans. You are cautiously optimistic that everything is going to be o.k., but at the same time, you are aware that something else could be awaiting for you to deal with, just hopefully not.

I honestly wasn't ready for that psychological drain and it took about 2 days for me to come out of my funk. I'm good though and ready to get on with life! Our family is actually going to take a celebratory trip to Disney soon and we are all looking forward to it. We just need to get away, have some fun and enjoy being a family. We're thankful we are able to take a trip like this and intend on relaxing and just have a good time. We had to cancel a Disney cruise that had been planned in October of 2009 when Dave was in the hospital getting his chemo. Last year we did manage to go to Hilton Head, but that was during one of my "good weeks" in the midst of my chemo. So, we're doing down to Florida for some nice warm weather, to celebrate being "done" with cancer and to enjoy our time as a family.

When we get back we'll hit the ground running to get ready for Relay for Life, so plan on hearing from me then!

4 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Holly, HI! i just got your message on my caringbridge site. i plan to come back and read yours and Dave's stories.

i was diagnosed with high grade pleomorphic sarcoma of the breast in January, had successful surgery to remove the tumor in February and am still waiting to find out my treatment plan. thank you for finding me =)

so glad you both are doing well. you have been prayed for today too along with your handsome boys!!

love, lisa

Celia Dave said...

I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, scoliosis, bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer. , Leukemia, lung cancer, skin cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer Fibromyalgia,Fibrodysplasia Syndrome, Epilepsy,Sclerosis sickness, Dupuytren's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, Lupus, Adrenocortic Carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic Diseases.HIV Help, Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphomaIntestinal cancer,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumorsNon-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Meniere's disease,Thyroid Cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerHIV Aids, Herpes, Disease Chronic inflammatory, Memory disorder, Here is his contact information ...... [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Whatsapp ... + 2348149277967

Unknown said...

Good day to all am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Pancreatic Cancer,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. ,I contacted him based on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com web and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life. His Mobile number Whatsapp.+2348149277967.

Unknown said...

Good day to all am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Pancreatic Cancer,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. ,I contacted him based on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com web and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life. His Mobile number Whatsapp.+2348149277967.