Sunday, September 6, 2009

Time for an Update!

Sorry it's been a while since I last made a post, I've been staying quite busy so that is good. Here's what's been going on since I last wrote...

Dave went to Costa Rica this past week on business. While he was gone, I went in for my Radiation Simulation on Monday..this is where they tattoo me, get me marked up with a Sharpie, line me up and get me ready for my upcoming Radiation. I then had my Port Removal surgery done on Tuesday and then started Radiation on Wednesday. On Tuesday, although the port removal was a simple procedure, it was not pain free. My surgeon told me I could drive myself to and from the appointment, but I'm glad my Mom came with me. All I can say is, "OUCHHHH!!!" He used a local anesthetic (or claimed to), but it was not a fun procedure. I'm just glad it is over and done with and out of me! The port was great to have during chemo, but since I didn't have any more need for it, I wanted it out!

Wednesday was my first Radiation appointment (of 33) and that is quite painless! I think like many have said that after going through chemo, the radiation will be a piece of cake. I get "zapped" from 3 different angles and the whole procedure takes about 10 minutes. No big deal, I'll just need to keep aloe on my skin since I am so fair and burn quite easily. They said that in about the third week that fatigue will probably kick in. I'm just glad I can rest and nap when I need to so, I'll get through it.

I was having nausea this week and figured out that it was from starting Tamoxifen. I read up on the side effects and it said that when starting on this "miracle drug", nausea can be a side effect at the beginning of treatment. I'll be on this for 5 years so I'm glad the nausea shouldn't be something permanent! This drug blocks the estrogen (which my type of breast cancer feeds off of), so it will help me not to have a recurrence. It also keeps me in chemically-induced menopause, so I continue to have hot flashes. I'm just dealing with them and taking off my bandana to keep cool! It goes with the territory so I won't complain although they are not the most fun thing to deal with. Such is life!

Well, not too much else is happening. Our kitchen remodel is just waiting on the painter to paint the walls, ceiling and cabinets, then we'll be all done! We're calling it our "Aflac Kitchen" since the Cancer policy has funded this project. For that I am thankful, it was about time!

No comments: