Thursday, February 19, 2009

Meeting with the surgeon

Well, I've got to say that this was probably one of the longest weeks for me on record. The day I got home from my Mammogram(s), I called my GYN's office and spoke with his nurse, Karen. There are some benefits of living somewhere and having the same doctor for 21 years. They know me well, being with me when I miscarried back in '96, Dr. Hood delivered Bryce and Kyle after 6 years of infertility, Dr. Hood also took a special interest in me because of Dave's history (brain tumor when I was pregnant with Kyle and now Dave's Liposarcoma), so I guess my doctor knows me and his nurse, Karen, is just a great gal.

So, she recommended a general surgeon, one that she would use herself, Dr. Wallace Martin. She also gave me the names of some other very reputable groups in the Atlanta area, but with everything going on with Dave, I am weary of the time on the interstate, she thought Dr. Martin's office would be great. He has the reputation of being a breast doctor, telling us that even a few weeks prior to my visit, he performed 8 lumpectomies in one day! I did enjoy seeing him and meeting his staff. His PA, Ruth Ann, actually had worked 15 years ago, with Dave's orthopedic oncologist, Dr. Dave Monson...it is a small world.

Dr. Martin examined me and right then and there in his office did a needle biopsy. I've got to tell you I wasn't really ready for this...and no lidocaine or any numbing agents...I just got to squeeze Dave's hand very, very hard. The size of the mass concerned Dr. Martin and he wanted to find out what this was. When we told him about Dave's upcoming surgery and his battle with Liposarcoma, Dr. Martin and his office were incredibly accommodating for us, again, for which I'm eternally grateful. One thing I know for sure, is that in times of uncertainty with health issues, the time of not knowing is exhausting. They got me scheduled for an MRI with contrast the very next morning (Friday, 2/20) and scheduled me for a follow-up the next Monday, 2/23. He said they hoped to have the pathology results from the biopsy, but couldn't promise anything.

No comments: