Friday, February 20, 2009

MRI with Contrast

So, it's 6:50 AM and I'm heading over for my MRI. Traffic is a breeze, good thing I'm not on the interstate...I hate the stress of driving in Atlanta traffic. So, anyway, I get to the Glancy Outpatient Center and get checked right in. If it weren't for an emergency room patient that came in right before me, my MRI would have happened right on time. Instead, I had to wait about an hour...but that was alright, I was just thankful to be seen so soon after my appointment the previous day. So, I'm waiting to get my MRI and they need to get a needle in my vein for the contrast. Well, I evidently have very uncooperative veins that are hard to find, and once the needle goes in, the vein likes to roll. I also hurt the feelings of the technician who had a reputation of ALWAYS getting the needle in on the first try. Nope, THREE tries later and he FINALLY gets the needle in the vein.

I finally get back to the room with the MRI machine and they get me set up. Like my cousin, Ali, who also went through breast cancer in the last year and a half, put it, I get put in the "Superman" position, laying face down, boobs hanging through a rectangular opening and told to try to breathe slowly. For the first 20 minutes they are taking films, and then the second 20 minutes, they pump the contrast through my veins to get the better picture (I'm assuming). Well, after 40 minutes or so, laying face down, the MRI is done. Thank God...my face has impressions on it from resting on the Styrofoam layer...ugh. Oh well, at least they are finished.
Since I'm over near the Duluth area, I head over to Trader Joe's. What an awesome diversion, I love that store and just wish there was one closer to where we live. Oh well, I pick up a few things and head home. I'm figuring this is just the beginning of lots of tests and procedures and need to take things in stride and one day at a time.

No comments: