Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Drain Removal Day and Dave's Homecoming!

Well, I'm so excited that today is the day my drain is coming out. This has been such a bother and just really has bugged me for the whole time it's been in. Dave calls me first thing in the morning to say "Hi" and to talk with our son, Bryce. Dave sounds GREAT and tells me he is being discharged TODAY. He's been doing his exercises and the PT is coming to work with him again. He had been fighting nausea the day before, but today, he sounds like a new man.

Diane and I head to Dr. Martin's office to get my drain removed. Oh my goodness...that was one of the weirdest sensations I've ever felt and hope to NEVER experience it again. It hurt while it was being removed and then burned. I find out that the drain went from about 4 inches below my armpit all the way up to the top of my arm pit. No wonder it hurt every time I reached for something. Well, I'm elated to have the thing OUT of my arm and we head downtown to the hospital to pick Dave and Barbara up.

When we get down to the hospital, Dave is packed up and ready to go. He, Barbara and a nurse come down and Dave is walking with crutches! The PT had him walking the hospital floor, doing stairs and he was just amazing us all!

We arrived home by 1:30 or so and my head was spinning that everything was happening so fast. Dave was in some pain, but nothing too bad. He was doing his exercises, getting up and moving around and making me so proud. His doctor predicted this kind of recovery, but we were a little skeptical that Dave would bounce back like he did.

We're so thankful for everyone who has been praying for us, I truly believe that God is getting us through each day and without Him and the support of those around us, we wouldn't be making the progress that we are.

No comments: