Thursday, March 5, 2009

Results of the Surgery

Well, I'm hanging in there and letting Dave take care of some of the duties I usually do...like get up with the boys in the morning, get their breakfast, make sure they get dressed, get their teeth brushed and be ready for the bus, within an hour. Dave usually gets to bed after me and sleeps in a little, but for the next few days, it's up at 7:00 AM for Daddy! Hey, I've got to take advantage of sleeping in while I can!

I'm hurting a little bit today, but, am taking my Lortab and keeping the pain managed pretty well. I was told to elevate my arm with some pillows and my sweet techie husband set me up with a laptop on the couch, so I'm happy as a clam! I actually went out and took a very short walk in the afternoon to get some fresh air and circulate the blood, but I didn't overdo it.

Around 1:30 in the afternoon, Ruthann, (PA to Dr. Martin) called and said my pathology report wasn't back yet. That was kind of disappointing because we were hoping to find out more about the cancer. She said she'd get back in touch with me as soon as they knew something.

About an hour later I get another call and it was Ruthann again. She did say that the mass that was removed had clean margins which is very good news. The doctor did have to take some of the chest muscle and go to the chest wall to get the clean margins, but it wasn't bad and there'd be no more surgery on my breast. The pathology report showed that there were microscopic cancer cells in the sentinel node that was taken out and they would need to go back in and do an Axillary Node Dissection. This didn't sound great, but, at least now, that Dave's surgery was set for 3/18, they could get me in the next week to do this 2nd procedure. So, I now get set up for the 2nd procedure for 3/10 to take out more nodes to see if the cancer is spreading further.

No comments: