Sunday, March 29, 2009

Waiting, waiting, waiting

You know, when you start a blog, you'd think you need to write something every day, but now I understand how you can "be silent" for a while...

It seems like this past week has just CRAWLED by for me. That's o.k. for now, I guess. I'm still not 100% from the Axillary Node Dissection, but, I'm not in as much pain and I can tell I'm slooooooowwwwly getting my range of motion back. Nobody prepared me for this and I kind of wish I had been better informed of what to expect. You'd figure right after surgery that you'd be sore, but then after 2 weeks, you'd think you can reach up to put glasses away in the kitchen cabinet, make the beds without grimacing, get a workout in without feeling soooo sluggish. I sound like my boys when I say, "I want to feel all better NOW!!!"

We did get the great news about Dave's surgery, clean margins, 95% kill ratio, slowly but surely closing this chapter in his fight against cancer. His drains came out Friday so he's getting around pretty well, still using one crutch...if you haven't seen his blog, you need to...my brother, Mike, nicknamed Dave "Zipper Leg" which is quite appropriate for the time being. I think we've been dealing with Dave's cancer for so long, when we got the good news, it was a HUGE relief and weight lifted from our shoulders. If we didn't have my deal going on right now, we'd almost be totally out of the woods, we'll get there, eventually.

One thing happened this week that I thought was pretty cool. The lab that is running the Onco DX test (out in California) called me to let me know they had received the slides, contacted my insurance company, were going to need 7 - 10 business days to run all the tests they run and answer the questions I had, if any. I was really impressed...seems like today whenever you do have a question, you have to jump through so many hoops to get to speak with an individual and they were just awesome to deal with. Impressively, they are the only lab in the world that runs this test, so I think they'll do it right. I read the testimonials on their website and I trust that the doctor is doing the right thing in my case to have this test run. Hopefully, we'll get a definitive answer, one way or another, if I need chemo or not. I truly do not want to go through it, but if it prevents any spreading or recurrence, then sign me up. I hope this test will make it clear as to which path I'll need to take!

I go in this coming Wednesday for all my scans...pray for clean ones. We figured that this is the appropriate time to get all these tests run, just to be sure.

So, that's all for now...I'll be in touch!

No comments: