Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Down, Five to Go...

Well, I'm happy to report that I made it through my first chemo round successfully. Wow, it was so much different than what we went through with Dave, and for that I am so grateful. I think my doctor feels we need "re-program" us for my chemo regime since it is so different from Dave's. That's ok, I'll take the "easier treatment" any day!

I chronicled this on my Facebook account which was fun, it's just hard to type on an iPhone...I met with the doctor when I got there, he checked my lab results to be sure I was ok to receive the chemo and then I went back to the "Spa Room" for them to access my port. Fortunately, my doctor prescribed a numbing cream to put on the port a few hours before the injection, so no pain! Dave wasn't given this (I think he's jealous!) but I did let him borrow it last Friday when he had his port flushed.

So, they gave me some pre-chemo saline and anti-nausea meds via the port, then they hooked up the Cytoxan bag. Each bag of chemo takes about an hour, but the whole process took about 4 1/2 hours (from checking in to checking out). After the Cytoxan was done, they gave me the Taxotere. This one they infused a little slower at first, just in case I would have some type of reaction. Other than turning a little red (which actually was from the steroids I've taken the day and a half to prevent fluid retention), I had no complaints or problems. I think that if I'll have the nausea problems and such, that will start up in the next day or two, but I'll be taking the anti-nausea meds on schedule. My counts will probably start dropping by the weekend to early next week, so I'll be hibernating some to stay away from germy people...goes with the treatment!

With all this being said, I'm glad to have my first treatment down, my next Round should be May 12th (Tuesday will be my chemo day)...hopefully all will go well between now and then. I'll go in tomorrow for a Neulasta shot (to rebuild the white cell counts) and then the following 2 Tuesdays for Lab Draws to check my levels. I'll keep you posted.

Thank You for your prayers, I know God is taking us through this, one day at a time.

2 comments:

olivialynne said...

Holly me again. So glad your first one is overwith. and that it went well... I called my daughter jennifer and let her know. its so funny, we dont even know you but we are celebrating your first chemo...over!!!Your on your way now girl !!! Keep strong and yes.. keep those germs away. Tell hubby we think and pray for him also.

perry1000 said...

I'm so glad the first of the "unknown" is over. Hopefully the next few days will be okay as well. We're all thinking of you and praying for you!!