Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just Thought I'd Catch Up...

So, this isn't really about Breast Cancer, or chemo, but it's been a while since I've made a post and I figured I'd write to say how things are going. Things for me have definitely been on the upswing since my last post, thank goodness. I know that since my 6th and final chemo is about 5 days away, the psychological effect is knowing it's almost over is just brightening every day. At the same time, I have a bit of anxiety, just knowing the chemo will be pumped in me one last time, but I can get through it and the end is in sight.

Keeping busy through all this is key, and man, we've been busy. This past weekend we went to the Sarcoma Awareness Walk at Piedmont Park which was a very inspirational event. For Dave and myself, it was great seeing his 3 doctors, different nurses and PA's and a slew of cancer survivors and some still in treatment. Last year, about 60 attended the event and this year they had 120. They met their goal of doubling in numbers and hopefully, next year, they can double again. Since I've been going through treatment, I had "kind of" forgotten a lot of what Dave had gone through, but this event really made me realize all that he did go through to fight his Liposarcoma and how incredibly blessed we were that it was as "simple" as it was. No, it was not easy, no, it was not fun AT ALL, but, seeing other patients who have had amputations, or recurrence, or are STILL in treatment, made us realize that God blessed us in getting Dave through his cancer in an amazing way. We're still keeping an eye on him and praying for no recurrence (his next CT scan is Aug. 11th), but we can't worry about the future and we know that through God's grace and provision, we'll be able to get through whatever comes our way.

The rest of the weekend was spent with family which was fun. We went to dinner with my oldest brother, Ed, who was coming through town to pick up Mom for a trip to Ft. Lauderdale. One of our dear family friends of over 48 years had passed away, so they went down for his funeral. I really wished I could have gone, but with everything going on here, we decided it was best I stay put. Even though I feel great and my levels are o.k., it would just be a hard trip and I'd be around lots of people (and foreign germs) which I don't need to expose myself to these days. It stinks, but I know everyone understands.

Sunday, we took the boys up to see Camp Toccoa where they'll be going this coming Sunday for their spend-the-night camp. They are both so excited which is so encouraging to us. I hope it'll be a great way to end their Summer break. The camp is called Camp Kesem and it's for children whose parents have had (or have) cancer. I know I've mentioned it before so I won't expound on this. Anyway, we visited a Museum, have a great lunch of Southern cooking and enjoyed our time as a family.

So, with this I'll close for now. I'll be spending the next few days getting the kids ready for their camp and for my last chemo round. On Tuesday, I'll be the patient whooping it up and dancing around the infusion room celebrating my last day there (I'll try to contain myself for the sake of the other patients), but I think you know what I mean. God has been so good to me to get me through all this with little or no complications and I know that only by His Grace, I am able to endure what's been placed in my path.

No comments: