Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hanging in there...one day at a time

So, it's been 4 days since chemo and all I can say is "UGH". You just never know what to expect, each day is different, different feelings, different sensations, different tastes...you just can't plan ahead during this time. At least I have one cycle behind me, so I have a glimpse of what to expect, which means tomorrow is when I'll feel like I've been hit by a bus.

I'm trying to lay off the pain meds and anti-nausea meds right now. I'm experiencing more neuropathy sensations than bone pain and the pain meds just make you constipated. Sorry, but that's the truth. Chemo just isn't any fun and I hope I can grin and bear it and get through the next 4 rounds without incident. So far, I am managing alright, except yesterday threw me for a loop. I was sooooo tired from the meds that I napped on and off all day long. I even went up to my bedroom at 7:30 last night. Not good if you're planning on getting a good night's sleep. So, today I may allow myself one nap after lunch, and not for very long. I like to sleep at night and not be tossing and turning. Now tomorrow, if my white counts do tank like they did last time, I'll take the pain meds and get a good nap, that seems to have helped me tremendously last time.

I can't believe the kids only have 3 more days of school. This year has flown (too fast) with everything Dave and I have had going on. It's almost not fair in that I wasn't able to participate with the kids' classes like I'm used to and I was just glad to have them be at school so Dave and I could deal with our doctor's appointments, surgeries, treatments, etc. You know, it's like a bad dream and it's just not ending. I think right now I'm just exhausted of dealing with cancer. I was ready to be done with Dave's ordeal when we got the "surprise, you have breast cancer" diagnosis. It's just not right. I know I'm blessed in the support and friends we have, but it does seem like we got the bum rap with both of us being diagnosed 7 months apart. What are the odds?

One more thing worth mentioning...I've heard about the ginger and relief it provides for patients going through chemo! I keep receiving emails or things on Facebook about it...I will discuss this with my oncologist before my next chemo round, although he's already told me he's not one for alternative treatments. So, we'll see what the good doc says. My nausea hasn't been too intolerable (shhh, don't tell Dave), but if the ginger helps, I'll try it!

2 comments:

olivialynne said...

holly..if anyone has the right to be a little ticked off about your situation...you two do!! But you usually have a 'go get em'attitude and it will surface again. This crap chemo won't last forever, and you will be rewarded with good health, and there are many years of school for you to be involved with. You don't have that far to go. Thinking of you all...as always.

perry1000 said...

Holly...I agree whole heartedly...you did get the bum rap and it isn't fair!! I haven't wanted to say it but since you've put it in print I feel okay about it now. It doesn't matter that your cancer/chemo doesn't compare to Dave's...it still really stinks!!

We are all praying for you! I love your colorful bandanas and think you look strong and beautiful as you walk around the cul-de-sac watching the boys!!

You're doing a great job with everything...keep it up!!

Pam Perry