Saturday, May 9, 2009

What an Amazing Experience - Relay for Life

Dave and I went to Relay for Life yesterday and all I can say is "Wow!" What an amazing experience. First of all, had you mentioned this to me a year ago, I would have probably said, "Nah, we're busy, Bryce has a party to go to, we've got some things to do around the house, we're tired..." With Dave getting diagnosed in July and then me getting diagnosed in February, we both had more than enough reasons to participate!

Well, since we've both been diagnosed and are fighting our own battles against cancer, this Relay for Life is something that I see us being part of every year. It was absolutely amazing. The one we have in Gwinnett Co., GA is one of the 2 largest events in the COUNTRY and we live about 2 miles from where the venue is! I believe they raised $1.8 million dollars at this event alone which is incredible.

Speaking of raising money, I want to take this chance to personally say "Thank You" to our friends and family that contributed in our fundraising efforts. Dave and I raised $1300 in about 2 weeks. Next year, I hope to be on top of things and really be prepared to do this thing right! There were hundreds of tents set up with different groups from around our area. Lots of churches, schools, people supporting friends, whoever wants to form a TEAM can sign up, raise funds and participate.

It was just great to see so many SURVIVORS do the first lap, so many people around us that are affected by cancer. It's sad...you would think with the all that is available to scientists and doctors these days, there'd be a cure for cancer. I hope that before I die, maybe someone in my generation or my children's generation can find a cure. Wouldn't that be amazing? Dave even made a sign and put it on his shirt...the sign said, "My chemo sucked, how about yours?" with a smiley face at the bottom. He just wanted to get the message across that it's horrible that the treatment is worse than the disease.

At 10:00 pm they had a moving experience where they lit luminaries all around the "track" and then everyone carried candles. They started the procession with bagpipes being played and it was just such a solemn, moving experience. To think of loved ones that have died from cancer, or those whose lives have been touched by cancer in some way is just overwhelming. To think that both Dave and I have been diagnosed within 7 months of each other and are going through the battle against cancer on our own is mind boggling. Again, we couldn't make it without those around us, our support team and the prayers of so many that are lifting us up daily.

I'll be going in for my next chemo round this coming Tuesday, but I'm really trying to not get worked up about that right now. We're going to enjoy this weekend, especially with tomorrow being Mother's Day. I hope my boys will bring me breakfast in bed! :-)


3 comments:

natehorton said...

Glad you guys enjoyed your first of many Relay experiences. This has become a sort of Mothers Day weekend tradition for our family. It was really great to see more of you guys than just the pictures. Can't wait to get together again.

olivialynne said...

What an amzing outlook you have Holly. You are an inspiration to so many. It helps that you are both so good looking:) Really, your friends and family must be beyond proud. I look so forward to reading your blogs and know that my family will also conquer this tough road!

Misty said...

Holly...you look amazing! You are rocking that scarf!! Keeping you all in our prayers, Misty:O)