Monday, May 4, 2009

It Was a Really Hairy Day

OK, so, not good to start this off with a bad pun, but I have to find the lighter side in this journey. Yes, I took the big step today and had my head shaved. Yesterday was when I started noticing my hair coming out a little too quickly...at least 4 or 5 strands every time I touched my hair. Dave was great, very supportive, got me out of the house to get some fresh air and sunshine (or at least some fresh air, it's been rainy and cloudy here in Georgia lately)....Anyway, it was a good diversion and got my mind off of the inevitable.

So today my hairdresser, Rhonda, was bringing dinner over. I called her originally to see if she could "do the buzz job" sometime this week...then I realized I just had to get it done and over with. She graciously came over with dinner, had a glass of wine with me and then we went out on the porch with Dave's "Just a Trim". OK, so maybe it would have been better for this to have been done at her salon, but after I had a big clump of hair come out this afternoon, I just couldn't wait.

I've posted a photo on my Facebook page (since I only know how to take pictures with my iPhone and put them on Facebook), so you'll have to wait until Dave gets home and can take some pictures with the camera to post here on the blog. I do like my wigs, but to be completely honest, the caps and hats are much more comfortable.

So, all in all I'm glad this step is over. It was very hard emotionally yesterday, just knowing that the time was near to get the hair buzzing over with. I do think it's so much harder for women because we really do identify ourselves with our looks and our hair is a major part of that. I think this whole experience is good for me to really get to know myself and take time to be reflective. I don't stop long enough to do this and now I'm being forced to. I know that what really matters is what's in the inside and that is what makes us who we really are, so, I hope that through this journey, I'll be a stronger person, more sure of who I am and more focused on what really does matter in life.

I'm going to close for now, I go in tomorrow to get labs drawn and then I'll just be enjoying the rest of my "good week". Kyle turns 8 officially on Thursday (he had a great time at his party this past Saturday) and then we're going to Relay for Life on Friday night. Dave and I will be participating in the Survivor's Lap and just enjoy the event...still taking it one day at a time!

3 comments:

momma-nance said...

My husband buzzed my head after my first chemo when my hair started coming out every time I touched my head. It began in the shower that morning and totally freaked me out. I had cut my hair short in preparation for going thru chemo but it didn't really prepare me for the buzz cut. Now after the 2nd chemo even the buzz is gone. It has been hard but I am finally getting comfortable in going bald around the house and I agree caps are so much more comfortable than wigs. I whip those wigs off the second I walk in the door.

Holly Novak said...

Yes Momma-Nance, I so agree...it's so easy to "be free" around the house...today I wore a scarf all day and LOVED it, it was so comfortable. I really do feel empowered now and taking the control of the situation (yesterday, taking the big step of getting buzzed) has actually boosted my self-confidence...I knew it was going to happen eventually and now that it's done, I feel so relieved! Good luck with your treatment, I hope it goes well for you!

olivialynne said...

Holly.. jennifer will probably get her hair buzzed too...soon. She starts chemo in June. I told her I have already seen her with no hair as a baby, and she was still cute.She is still my baby and still cute.Thank God hair grows back. You have gone through so many milestones holly, and we are all rooting for you and your family. Stay strong. In our thoughts and prayers, as always.