Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Feeling Better All the Time

Thank goodness for counts coming back up and my body feeling better again! Round 3 so far has definitely been my hardest, but it's done and I'm on the mend. It's amazing what 24 hours can even be like when going through treatment for cancer. I do think that the cumulative effect of chemo will make it harder each time, but there could so many other variables in how one's body responds. So, with that being said, I'm back on the upswing and so thankful to be feeling good again!

I must say, for me, cancer has taught me to be introspective. Before, I never would have taken the time to do a journal, let alone think of blogging. I know for a fact that God has a plan for me and I'm just waiting to see how it all unfolds. Each day though, someone new is introduced to me which is awesome. I think because I'm a "cancer patient" right now, I draw attention to myself that otherwise, I'd just go around and never be noticed. I always smile and try to be friendly, but it's sweet how people just take the time to do the "extra" stuff for me...there are a lot of nice people out there, really. People are just more sensitive than I ever could have imagined, so maybe it is just giving me a chance to see the world through a different pair of glasses. Yesterday, I was at Wal-mart (seems like I go there too much), but anyway, I was making a return and the Greeter lady just starts talking to me like I was having a cup of coffee with her. First she asked me how I was doing, where I was in my treatment, then she starts to tell me about her husband and how he faired through his battle with cancer. Cancer is life changing, but again, it's for a good reason.

I'm so happy that I'm doing better, it's scary to feel so down and out, but once my counts are back up, it's nice to feel almost "normal" again. I went out for my walk/jog this morning, even that is so nice, to feel strong enough to jog a little. Exercise is so key for me and I'm thankful I was in a good place in my life when my cancer hit. Because of Dave's cancer, I made it a point to walk (and eventually walk/jog) 5 times a week. It helped me so much, just getting outside for at least 30 minutes a day. I'd put on my headset and just go...the sun, the serotonin, fresh air was so therapeutic for me. I have had a history and family background of having a problem with turning to food for solace and being overweight. I didn't want to undo the good I had been doing with Weight Watchers last year when Dave was diagnosed. So, I kept up my exercising and it was just such a healthy way to deal with the stress. When I got diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I eased up on myself a bit and "unjoined" Weight Watchers as I didn't want to worry about my weight, the actual number on the scale and not knowing how I'd respond to chemo and all. But, I also told myself that I'd deal with my treatment the best I could and exercise when I felt my body would tolerate it. I usually don't go out the day after my infusion or the few days following. Hmm, let's see...I went out last Tuesday morning, the day of my infusion. Then I went out for a short walk on Thursday and Friday. The weekend was out of the question. I was feeling better on Monday and went out for a good walk and took yesterday off. This morning, I was out early, feeling strong and had a great time. I know that studies have been done that show exercise is beneficial for people going through chemo. How could it not be? Just the fact that you're exercising is good! For me, I'm so glad I had started this before either of us were diagnosed and I'm thankful to be able to continue my regime even while undergoing chemo. I hope to be in better shape after chemo than before I was diagnosed. How's that for a goal? :-) I've got a busy day planned with the boys so that's all for now!

No comments: